[opendtv] Re: Over-the-air TV gears for mobile, Web roles

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 04:14:57 -0500

At 10:02 AM -0800 11/4/08, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Craig:

Are you sure you can't author a Blu-Ray DVD independently without the key?

I have seen some descriptions to do just that on several forums such as this one:

<http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=1236027&postcount=5>http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=1236027&postcount=5

I'm sure counting on being able to do it in the future.

The issue here is commercial replication.

Yes, it is feasible to burn Blu-Ray discs as you can with any of the optical bit-bucket formats. If you only need one or a few discs then Blu-Ray can be used without all of the DRM crap.

But replication is quite another matter. For replicated discs your options are limited and the AACS license and fees for encryption keys are required. Thus, if you want to release a replicated title for sale, you must pay...