[opendtv] Re: Out of Sync?

  • From: "John Limpert" <john.a.limpert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 09:10:32 -0500

It doesn't surprise me. Maybe someone on the list can explain
something to me. Over the years, I've looked for information on
digital TV on many local stations' web sites. Usually I find no
information. I get the impression that the typical web site is
produced by the marketing department and that they think that the
engineering and operations staff are just those smelly trolls in the
basement that everyone would prefer to ignore. When the station is
spending millions of dollars to upgrade their systems, I'd think that
they would want to let the public know about it. I get more
information out of the FCC database than most stations' web sites.

On 3/7/07, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If this were not so ridiculous it would be funny...

Here we are less than two years out from the "supposed" end of analog
TV broadcasts, and there is some finger pointing going on about the
end date. It seems that the government and TV industry are "Out of
Sync."

DUH!

The story leads with:
>Government and industry may agree on the importance of informing
>consumers about the looming transition to digital television.

They may agree it is important, but NOBODY is doing it.

And why the hell is it the governments responsibility to inform the
public about the transition, when broadcasters have the VERY BEST
means to educate the public?

Where are the educational promos?

Maybe the TV broadcasters expect the government to buy time on their
stations to run ads about the transition?

Is there any better way to inform the public that the analog TV
service is going away than to run promos ON THAT SERVICE?

The NAB keeps telling us about the multiple billions in public
service that TV stations provide each year, yet the TV industry has
completely ignored the opportunity to promote the new DTV service and
to inform the public of the impending changes.

Does it really matter if there are multiple countdown clocks with
different outcomes? What we all what to know is when the DTV
transition is going to BEGIN.