[opendtv] Re: Opinion: Free at Last?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 08:58:44 -0400

Strange irony. I don't know how the opinion piece will be accepted,
coming as it does from a Democrat ex-regulator. But when Michael Powell
suggested the same thing, using exactly the same arguments, (loosen up
the national cap, because there are now plenty of other news and info
outlets), certainly that caused a furor among folk who hold Mr. Quello's
points of view. Not to say that he himself objected, of course. I don't
know that he did.

Sorry Bert, but what Quello is advocating is FAR MORE radical that what Powell proposed.

Powell was simply trying to update FCC regulations; the FCC would continue to micro manage the telecommunications industries.

Quello is advocating the abolishment of the FCC - not a unique or new idea.

It is good to see that a former regulator recognizes the fact that the FCC is an outdated dinosaur , that is artificially supported inflated prices for all kinds of telecommunications services.

It's time for "the marketplace to decide."