[opendtv] Re: Opinion: Apple TV set - an enduring fantasy?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:27:59 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> So, yes you realize some benefit from what the 85% are paying, but at
> a huge cost. Most of what you get is crap, which is the reason, no
> doubt, that you supplement what you can get FOTA with OTT programming
> from the Internet.

Not at all. A lot of my Internet viewing is VOD, of shows that just aired FOTA.
And for the first time in a long time, NBC has a show, Revolution, that I
watch. In fact, there are enough new shows to follow that I've had to give up
some of the older ones, like the CSI franchise.

One of the nice things about DTV is that there are some channels that air old
TV shows. What's great about this? Not what (no doubt) you have leapt to.

In spite of the facile mantra one habitually hears, the old shows are crap
compared to what we get now. Possible exception, perhaps, might be Perry Mason.
Aside from that, most of the old shows are poorly acted, have silly predictable
plots, the humor (if any) sounds lame, special effects are nil, the audio is
atrocious even if the picture is sometimes decent. My bet is, their greatest
appeal is nostalgia, for those who grew up watching them. "Campy" describes
them best. Even shows that were once among the best on TV.

Out of curiosity, I did watch some of these old shows occasionally, at first.
Like, The Rockford Files, or Magnum PI, or even the original Star Trek. But
there's new stuff out there that's just simply so much better. The good TV
shows today are on a par with movies, for acting, for plots, for special
effects, for image and audio quality. This was simply not the case even as
recently as 20-25 years ago.

> So it boils down (sorry) to a nation of TV addicts, who are hooked on
> the drug and are unwilling to go through the withdrawal pains of
> boycotting the media and the sports franchises until the house of
> cards collapses.

Playing the "victim card?" The younger set, the under 35 year olds, are not
using MVPDs as much. Last I saw, it was 25 percent of these younger households
using other-then-MVPD for their TV content.