[opendtv] Re: Opinion: Apple TV set - an enduring fantasy?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 19:49:04 -0600

This article finally sort of came up with a "solution," although even that
"solution" is over-trendified hype and ultimately silly.

First they set up the strawman:

That you need a (presumably MVPD, and clumsy) set-top box to watch TV?
That you need to get content from MVPDs?
That you must buy bundles.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/dec/10/apple-tv-set-enduring-fantasy

--------Quoting----------
* We still can't order channels à la carte or search the programme grid. For
the latter you have to go to your tablet. And forget about the former.

* You can't buy your own set-top box; you have to rent it from your carrier.
For STB makers, there's no incentive to build a better product.

* Add in the contorted rights and packages games played by the content
providers and you end up with today's mess.

The solution? Channels, shows, special events should all be presented as apps.
Click, pay, and play, with standard fare for free. Catch the 6pm news when you
get home at 9:30; watch two programmes side-by-side with Android 7 or iOS 9,
all on your screen of choice: smartphone, tablet, PC, or TV.
don't need any third party "apps," and for that matter, I don't normally use
Google either.

Man oh man. I must be some kinda genius! Pity the great unwashed masses that
have to wait for a prophet to deliver them glossy white boxes and "apps." !!