[opendtv] Re: Online TV bundles

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 00:40:47 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Fine. So what part of the 50% of nonlinear viewing does this
> represent?
>
> You conveniently ignore the more entrenched technologies people
> have been using for decades.

No, Craig. These figures do not include PVRs, DVDs, or BluRay. In fact, those
numbers don't even include the way I watch most of my TV. So if anything, the
50 percent figure is under-representing fact. Pay attention to the non-linear
media mentioned here:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/parks-non-linear-tv-viewing-expands-lead-over-linear-watching/2014-10-27

> Apparently DVD and Blu Ray are still an important factor in
> non-linear TV viewing.

And they have nothing to do with the topic at hand, which is TV over the
Internet. And by the way, neither DVD, nor BluRay, nor in-home PVRs, are
compatible with watching TV over tablets and smartphones. (Well, at least not
trivially so.) So, much of today's non-linear TV watching can definitely NOT be
attributed to these devices.

>> You should have checked your facts before repeating that
>> number back to me, and doing so out of context.
>
> And I addressed this Bert. That number IS in context; it is
> the segment of the total market that has made the shift that
> the Wired article you posted would happen "soon."

No, Craig. That 5 percent figure only means people who use **only** the
Internet, to watch TV. For example, I watch the majority of TV over the
Internet, but not 100 percent. I already explained this to you, Craig. The CEA
has a habit of promoting MVPDs, for reasons I don't understand, just as you do.
So whatever they report you have to read carefully.

> Obviously a large segment of the population is using OTT
> services, however, as I pointed out today, only about 72%
> of US homes have high speed broadband, while more than 80%
> have a MVPD service.

Absolutely not a problem. Any home connected now to cable, or even to POTS
telephone, in urban/suburban areas certainly, can easily be switched to
broadband in 5 years' time. This is hardly a big technical hurdle. If a cable
system decides to go all IPTV, it can make it happen starting right now. If
people stand the chance of losing their MVPD service, they can equally find
broadband alternatives on their own. Rural areas would be those of greatest
concern.

As to your being stuck on "soon," 100 percent of homes are not TV homes, nor do
100 percent of homes have telephone service. So it's absurd to get stuck on
such minutiae. You'll never reach 100 percent for any such service. Big
revelation! That doesn't mean anything. The bottom line is that it takes no
huge feat to send essentially all TV content over the Internet, within a 5 year
window. My only hesitation there would be reliability. Cabled media won't have
the reliability of multiple independent wireless media, as we have now with
FOTA TV.

> And where the hell did you come up with half of households for all
> TV viewing.

Spoon-feeding Craig again, from the above link:

"'Non-linear video accounts for 49% of the video consumed on the TV, and it is
already the majority, 60%, of TV video viewed by consumers 18-24,' said Barbara
Kraus, director of research, Parks Associates. 'Growing consumer demand,
alongside new OTT service announcements from HBO and CBS, is driving all
players in the video ecosystem to add streaming capabilities to their devices.'"

Read carefully, Craig. They are talking about all consumed TV content here. Not
just among certain households.

>> You mean, at gunpoint?

> No Bert. By choice.

Then don't accuse the "content oligopoly," for your lack of initiative, Craig.
The prices are going up, for the now-surpassed TV content distribution model,
simply because they can. The content oligopoly has already made alternatives
available. Those who choose not to benefit from the alternatives have only
themselves to blame.