[opendtv] Re: Online TV bundles

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 19:05:26 -0500

Craig wrote:

> I am not surprised that we are at the point where 50% of TV viewing is non
> linear. I've been talking about this trend for months. The larger question is
> how this breaks down in terms of the non-linear technology used:
> - DVD/Blu-Ray sales and rentals
> - Digital Video Recorders
> - MVPD VOD services
> - Internet OTT services

As I already explained, whether it's MVPD VOD services or OTT sites, the effect
is not hugely different. Both require dedicating bandwidth to individual
households and individual devices, and BOTH are essentially provided using the
same technique: servers at the edges of the network.

We are way, way beyond only 5 percent of households getting TV content this
way, Craig. I had already pointed out to you WHY that 5 percent figure was
misleading. You should have checked your facts before repeating that number
back to me, and doing so out of context.

> I'm still waiting to hear you tell us when "soon" will be anywhere near the
> 80%+ who subscribe to a MVPD service and cut the cord in favor of Internet TV

Ooops. Until now, you were wondering when the Internet could be used for TV by
everyone. Well, it's already being used by 83 percent of households at least
some of the time, Craig, and by about half of households, maybe slightly less,
for *all* their TV watching.

> It is also true that a significant portion of U.S. homes are using Internet
> TV
> services on a regular basis. But the total time used viewing OTT sites versus
> tradition Broadcast and MVPD streams is still a very small number.
I would say, 50 percent is not "a very small number." Whether this is from OTT
sites, or other sources that require similarly dedicated bandwidth to devices,
doesn't matter much, *if* you are wondering whether IP connections can handle
it. Said another way, nothing stands in the way of repurposing the
MVPD-proprietary VOD bandwidth to IP service, other than the MVPD itself.

> Do you honestly believe broadcasting could end tomorrow? In a year? In five
> years?

I have absolutely no doubt in this regard, Craig! The obstacles to this are not
technical. They are foot-dragging luddites, who seem unable to comprehend TV
watching without that 2 or 3-digit channel number involved, and they are the
sports addicts who allow antiquated but lucrative distribution models to
soldier on.
> Much of the stuff I watch is only
> available with a MVPD subscription.

There is a saying in the Navy: "That sounds like a personal problem." (In case
I need to explain the context, the saying is intended to be dismissive.)

> It's not about Luddites dragging their feet Bert. We are talking about
> entrenched industries that have more that 80% of U.S. Homes as subscribers.

You mean, at gunpoint? You mean, the market system is unable to provide
alternatives? Again, that sounds like a personal problem.

> The congloms are selling "used" content to the non-MVPD sites Bert.

You keep falling back on old mantra just to extend a hopeless argument. We have
gotten beyond this old song, Craig. It's false. The congloms and others are
instead providing new content to OTT sites, e.g. FX and AMC as the most recent
examples we have already addressed, the congloms are moving to direct to
consumer distribution over the Internet, all of this because people are bailing
out of antiquated delivery models.

You would think, Craig, that as many times as you have been proven wrong on
this TV migration, you would be checking your facts before making your
pronouncements. Check your facts!