[opendtv] Re: One more time -- Louisiana Governor...

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 09:38:26 -0400

Hurricanes completely disrupt your life.  There is no electricity or
telephone for two weeks or more.  Some businesses are wrecked to never
reopen.  Groceries re-open after a few days using emergency power.
Everything perishable has to be chucked -- at home and in the grocery.  It
will take you months to get your car repaired locally.  If your house didn't
get completely wrecked, you probably got water in the house through holes in
the roof or broken windows.  With no AC everything begins to mold.  So most
of your bedding and furniture ends up curbside.

Appliances stop working because of the 100% humidity in the house.  People
in the North have no idea how destructive Southern summer climate is on
stuff when there is no AC.

There is no gasoline available locally.  Flats are a problem because of all
the debri in the roadways.  Drive a few miles away and everything is normal.

All the info you get is from small battery-powered radios.  TV just has guys
leaning into the wind and pictures of storm damage for the people a few
miles away to watch.

There is a complete suck up of all available building materials in a quarter
of the US, so it takes months to repair.  There are no reputable contractors
that are not backlogged.  You have to pay up front and are in constant worry
about being cheated.  Things disappear.

You can lose almost all control of your life, which is very distressing.
People presume that since a few months have gone by, everything should be
repaired.  But your wife still has nightmares about the sheetrock ceilings
collapsing under the weight of rain-soaked insulation.

Here in Port Charlotte we didn't have the tidal surge and flooding.  That
must compound the destruction and misery.

The people from New Orleans and Mississippi are just a few steps down a
difficult and painful road.

Al Limberg