[opendtv] Re: On Flash and streaming

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 23:02:02 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Flash to mobile devices, stating incorrectly:
>
> "Droids, Samsungs, Nokias, Windows OS phones all support Flash"
>
> In fact they DO NOT.

Droids used to, and Windows phones were supposed to. Until Jobs put the kibosh
on that and everyone followed obediently. You seem to feel obligated to make up
excuses for this state of affairs, who knows why.

Adobe gave up on developing Flash for phones when Jobs, for whatever historical
reason that was burning up inside, refused to provide accelerators for Flash.
So he made all manner of claims, not just about battery power, but also that
Flash caused the majority of system crashes on Macs. How odd. It seems to work
well on PCs.

> There is a good reason for this. Smartphones are using widely
> supported standards for streaming services and industry standard
> codecs that are ACCELERATED by the GPU.

We've been over this thoroughly already, Craig. First of all, Flash has been
using H.264 for years now. And secondly, accelerators can be designed for any
streaming protocol. That excuse, given by Jobs, was bogus, Craig. How do you
still not get this?

Sure, ultimately, wouldn't it be nice for a complete streaming solution to be
possible without browser plugins. But everything I read CONTINUES to say that
Flash still has the better DRM solutions. Mark Schubin's post was essentially
correct. Flash is still the standard. Devices without Flash are still crippled,
and everyone seems to know this except you-know-who. when it comes to streaming
from any random source out there, if you don't have Flash, you feel free to
expect problems. As Mike Tsinberg reported EXTREMELY recently, Craig!