[opendtv] Re: Omnidirectional RECEIVE antennas with gain

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:51:57 -0500

Mark O'Brien wrote:
> Doug,
> There are omni directional antennas,

where

> but they add as many problems as
> they fix.  The most significant issue for DTV is multipath.

NO ... it is power. At least around here. Multipath is
a complete non-issue UNLESS you have a directional antenna
pointed in the wrong direction. You can take a very directional
antenna, rotate it around in a circle, measure the signal strength
in all directions, and you find that in every case the main signal
dominates strongly. Some of the farther stations are simply
too weak to get unless an antenna has at least a little gain
in their direction, at attic level.

> There are several omni TV antennas that are built for RV, boat and
> automobile reception.  In the US, they are all designed for analog, but
> work just fine for DTV in my tests.  Check out
> http://www.shakespeare-marine.com/antennas/tvant.htm for an example.

I am aware of those. They have no gain.

We really need some gain for some stations. 6 or 7 dB should be enough.

Doug McDonald