[opendtv] Re: Olympics picture quality

  • From: "Dave Robertson" <daver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:16:06 -0800

The affiliate network feeds contain all National spots, local breaks go to
black then an animated NBC logo to fill. There are insertions or "roll
overs" done on the regional feeds by the network and occasionally we roll
over with a local spot as an extra avail (I think) to cover a spot not
applicable to our area. Though some "National" spots still air that don't
apply to our market(s). We have no Olive Garden or Red Lobster restaurants
in this state for example...

> Dave, does your station delay the feeds for broadcast

Yes and no, we generally start primetime at 7pm as Alaska is one hour
earlier than Pacific time, taking the network feed live and starting a
server record at the same time. We have special dispensation to "open up"
the local breaks so after the first local break we run delayed from the
"live" network by recueing the playback side of the server. Generally this
delay accumulates until we start our local news at about 10:05pm

Dave Robertson
Senior Operations Engineer
KTUU-TV
907.762.9579

------------------------------

From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [opendtv] Re: Olympics picture quality
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 16:19:58 -0700

Dave;

Let's see if I can salvage something here.  When I used to watch NBC on
satellite, I noticed that only a few spots were included.  I subsequently
became aware that NBC back then sent out only truly national spots on the
network feed, and used regional centers to insert regional (time zone or
other regions) spots.

I can't speak of affiliates, but I do have a pretty good sense on how NBC
operates it o&o clusters in the NE and CAL.  The network programming comes
(HD and SD) off satellite.  The spots come off interties to WNBC or KNBC.
Those interties, at the moment, are SD-ONLY DS-3 feeds, but will be upgraded
to HDTV-capable circuits in the next months/years.

Dave, does your station delay the feeds for broadcast, or do you air Law &
Order at 9 p.m.?

John Willkie

come in MCPC muxs on AMC-1. There are three of these muxs with Eastern,