[opendtv] Re: Olympics picture quality

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:32:38 -0500

I note that the picture of the flying rings logos on the
HDTV coverage of our local station, WICD (a Sinclair station)
is much improved compared to the first day.

I would now call it "very poor" rather than the originally
"totally horribly abysmal". They are now recognizable as actual
rings, which are not of round but rather square cross section,
and which don't atcually "interlock" with each orther put
rather sort of "penetrate" each other.

But the edges are very blurred, there are sections of the
edges which are out of line, and the whole affair is
seriously low resolution with a very low effective bit depth
in each macroblock.

I called WICD a few minutes ago, and they have made no changes.
So this proves that NBC was at least at first responsible
for the abysmal quality.

Doug McDonald