[opendtv] Re: Olympics picture quality

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:17:03 -0500

Terry Harvey wrote:

> I had another look at the HD Olympics coverage today. I watched the track
> and field events. The pixelation and problems with the MPEG-2 encoding was
> really obvious.  I am amazed that not many people are mentioning this:
> perhaps it is because they are writing about it but don't have an HD set to
> actually watch it. How odd.

Oh it's being mentioned! AvsForum is awash with complaints. Our
local station was surprised by the number of complaints, which
of course indicates that people are actually watching their DTV
channel (which is low power and became HD only at the instant
the Olympic coverage started.)

A few of my colleagues have mentioned HDTV and one
pair installed it specially for the Olympics (she's Greek),
by borrowing my spare STB.

Doug McDonald