[opendtv] Re: Olympics picture quality

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:14:37 -0400

I have the same issues with the local NBC affiliate content I see from
home as well as from the WRC O&O (I can get that at work). I am
presuming it comes off the bird that way!

Yes, we have the best encoders on the market today (Harmonic) at all of
our stations. Can't (obviously) do any better that what is received. You
get what you get, but for you, its free!  :-)

But, thanks for the words, and I will talk to the station...

Doug McDonald wrote:

>Somebody here may well be able to answer my question
>on the picture quality of the HD Olympics.
>
>Sinclair only turned on their true HD here for the
>Olympics ... it was ready days earlier, but they absolutely
>refused to let us see some regular HD programming before the
>Olympics, so that's all I have seen.
>
>For static pictures, the quality (1080i) is certainly OK.
>There seems to be zero detail that my 720p TV can't handle:
>no change when I adjust the "sharpness" control, except for the
>local bug, and at CC It saw no more detail on 1080i sets, including
>the Sony XBR 950 set for "pro" mode, but it looks fine.
>
>However, when fast motion starts, such as the flying rings logo
>they use for replays, all Hell breaks loose: the logo itself
>breaks up into blocks, and is fuzzy to boot. I see no problem
>with flying logos on MNF (720p). When they show from-above
>distant shots of swimmers, the foam breaks up into total pixelated
>mud.
>
>When they show fast gymnastics, when they pan to follow a running
>gymnast, the background seems to move smoothly, so at least that
>part of the 50i->60i conversion is passable. BUT ... when the
>gymnasts have wailing arms or legs ... they actually disappear
>entirely! No, they don't get blurry ...  there is no blur, just
>background behind where they should be. Well sometimes there is
>some faint trace or blurry stuff in front of the background,
>but not much.
>
>Clearly the broken up flying logos is a local encoder issue, but
>what about the foam breakup and the missing arms? Is this local,
>or due to the 50->60 problem? Has any of you people seen what the
>un-19.3'd network feed looks like?
>
>Overall I would say that both swimming and gymnastics has moments
>of simply unacceptably bad pictures.
>
>Mark Aitken: are you sure that the WICD people have got their
>encoder set right?  Are you using the same brand of encoders
>at all your 1080i stations?
>
>Doug McDonald

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken Director, Advanced Technology

***********************************
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
Text PAGE: page.maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
www.newscentral.tv
www.sbgi.net
===================================

"A strict observance of the written laws
is doubtless one of the high duties of a
good citizen, but it is not the highest.
The laws of necessity, of self-preservation,
of saving our country when in danger, are
of higher obligation.  To lose our country
by a scrupulous adherence to written law
would be to lose the law itself, with life,
liberty, property, and all those who are
enjoying them with us; thus absurdly
sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this
email message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and
destroy the original message without making a copy.  Thank you.