[opendtv] Re: Olympics HDTV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 12:54:43 -0500

Speaking of HDTV, I noticed two interesting things yesterday evening.

First was that there's a huge difference between live HDTV and HDTV from
(I assume) film. I was flipping between NCIS (CBS) and American Idol
(Fox). American Idol looked incredibly sharp and bright, almost like a
sparkling jewel. It was gorgeous. By comparison, NCIS was sort of dark
and murky, at least in the scenes I happened to catch. Decent sharpness,
but not spectacular like Idol.

Also, the State of the Union was broadcast in HDTV by some, like NBC,
and SDTV by others, like PBS. The difference, even on a small set, was
obvious. The HD gives so much detail that it looks like you can see way
down deep in the chamber, as opposed to looking at a flat and somewhat
soft image. SDTV looks like a picture from a cheap box camera with
plastic lens, by comparison to HDTV. Big difference.

Maybe this is common knowledge.