[opendtv] Re: Off topic: Researchers uncover potent greenhouse gas

  • From: Kilroy Hughes <Kilroy.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:54:30 -0700

Convincing research shows that the number and strength of hurricanes is
inversely proportional to the amount of high atmosphere dust over Africa.
Changes in ocean temp had much less effect.

The storms are born off the east coast of Africa and when dust levels are
"normal", the dust blowing off the continent squelches them, seeds rainfall and
dampens their energy or something (they didn't suggest the mechanism). During
recent high activity, dust was dramatically lower and more storms survived and
grew to hurricane strength.  They didn't speculate what was modulating the
millions of tons of dust normally suspended over the Sahara.

Maybe global cooling is reducing dust storms which is increasing hurricanes.

Kilroy Hughes
TheoriesAreUS