[opendtv] Re: Off topic: Researchers uncover potent greenhouse gas

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:05:06 -0400

At 6:46 PM -0400 10/28/08, Tom Barry wrote:
According to one Nature article the duration and strength of
hurricanes has increased by about 50% over the last thirty some years.

Hmmmm...

Could this have something to do with the normal cycle for Hurricanes, which lasts about 30 to 40 years?

Could it have something to do with the fact that we can now track hurricanes from their formation until they reach landfall? In the previous peaks of the cycle - 1930s and 1960s - we only had short range reconnaissance aircraft ( not sure we were sending out aircraft in the '30s).

And why did the number, size, and intensity suddenly decrease two years ago? Could it have something to do with the "unexpected" cooling of the oceans?

Why is it that the media tends to forget about history and REAL recorded data?