[opendtv] Re: Off topic: Researchers uncover potent greenhouse gas

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:24:15 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> If you have the expertise and have looked at ALL the
> evidence dispassionately and still think that there is
> NO Global Warming and that humans are not at fault then
> your conscience may be clean.

I think the disagreements are more on whether it's a short term trend or
an uncontrolled (non-self-regulating) long term trend, and whether the
CAUSE is human-generated CO2.

But if you really want to get scared, there's no doubt that global
warming is absolutely real, long term. Way worse than Easterbrooke
talked about.

The sun is about 4.6B years old. And its life expectancy is supposedly
about 10B years. So, we should all rest easy, you think?

Apparently not. In only about 1B years or so, our pleasant sun (they
say) will slowly morph into a red giant. Bigger and bigger, hotter and
hotter. No escaping that with anything Al Gore wrings his hands about.

However, it looks like, by then, we may be able to progressively edge
the earth out into more distant orbits from the sun, to keep from
burning up. Man, that is seriously scary. In astronomical terms, 1B
years is not that long.