[opendtv] Off topic

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:44:36 -0400

At 1:13 AM -0500 11/1/05, Bob Miller wrote:
>(Off subject) You know when I was in the service, Army intelligence, if
>we passed classified information to anyone it had to be identified as
>such and the person receiving it had to have the security clearance
>commensurate with the classification and be informed verbally if the
>information was verbal. I didn't have to worry because I didn't have
>access to the really good stuff nor access to the world. And had no idea
>how much I knew that the world didn't. Like the coming invasion of
>Cambodia, presence of B-52's flying missions from Okinawa to Vietnam and
>the very real SR-71 which I liked to watch take off for flights over
>China. Leaks caused people to die in Vietnam in a very direct way then
>and sometimes the affects and the leak were all too well known.
>
>  So Cheney goes to the CIA to find out what he can on Joe Wilson.
>Someone volunteers that his wife is an agent and should have informed
>Cheney of her status and the fact that her identity is classified.
>Cheney has the clearance and understanding of what classified means. He
>then passes this information to others in his office (all of whom have
>high security clearance and the knowledge of what that means) and
>likewise tells each person he informs that Wilson's wife's identity is
>classified. Anyone of those who tells the press is leaking classified
>material. Something Bush said he would fire such a person for. Later
>changed to only if convicted.
>
>It is hard to break this chain with the statement "I didn't know her
>identity was classified". That is insulting.

And it would be inaccurate.

The truth is that no law was broken - other than lying to a Grand Jury.

Wilson's wife had not been in a covert position for nearly a decade.
She was working at the Department of State as a liaison to the CIA.
SHE is responsible for assigning her husband to the task of
investigating the attempts by Sadam to buy yellow cake from Niger.

This was a direct attempt to discredit the Bush administration.
Wilson LIED in his editorial in the new York Times. This LIE is
confirmed in his own book, which is the real reason that this whole
affair became public. This is nothing more that inside the beltway
politics.

The whole ATSC affair is equally sordid, and I can assure you that
more laws were broken in the AdvancedTelevision process than in this
supposed leak case.