[opendtv] Ofcom outlines plans for spectrum 'auction'

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:49:58 -0500

I keep insisting that things DTT are more similar than they are
different, around the world. Here is more proof. However, no easy
transition to HDTV for the incumbent DTT channels. Says to me that
either the Freeview service has to make HDTV happen within their current
spectrum allocation, or expect HDTV to be a pay service in the UK.

Bert

-----------------------
Ofcom outlines plans for spectrum 'auction'

Ofcom has outlined plans for an auction of the 'digital dividend' (the
broadcast spectrum freed up by digital switchover) for new uses such as
ultra-fast wireless broadband services, mobile television, more digital
terrestrial television channels in standard or high-definition, local
television, wireless microphones and low-power applications developed
from wi-fi.

Ofcom have concluded that a 'market led' approach is the most
appropriate way of awarding the digital dividend. This means that the
regulator will auction the spectrum in a manner that it claims will
allows users to decide how the spectrum should be used and creates the
maximum flexibility and opportunities for different technologies and
services.

"We have carefully considered arguments for reserving spectrum for a
variety of particular uses, but we have not found them compelling." said
a joint statement from Ofcom's Chairman David Currie and Chief Executive
Ed Richards on the regulator's website. "Giving spectrum to one use will
deny it to others. It will also tend to reduce flexibility and blunt
incentives. We recognise that many services can provide broader social
value, but we do not think that support via implicit subsidies in the
form of spectrum is necessary to realise this."

The exception to Ofcom's market led approach is PMSE (programme making
and special events) which the regulator describes as: "an extremely
diverse community" which they do not believe would be able to take part
effectively in an auction, creating a risk of market failure. Ofcom has
therefore proposed to hold a 'beauty contest' to award a package of
interleaved spectrum to meet PMSE users' needs.

DTG Staff 13.12.2007