[opendtv] Re: Ofcom details new market research for DDR

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 19:03:50 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> So this isn't a discussion about HDTV vs. EDTV. It's instead
>> how to keep on transmitting 30-odd Freeview programs, while
>> transitioning to higher quality images.
>
> Very good Bert.
>
> Now look at the story you posted, which claims that Ofcom has
> studied the situation and believes that 4-5 HD signals can be
> delivered alongside the 30+ channels WITHOUT ANY EXTRA
> SPECTRUM.
>
> I went through this several weeks ago. They can transition to
> ALL EDTV AND HDTV WITHOUT the need for more spectrum.
>
> And as I outlined in the post to which you responded, with
> EDTV ALL of the 30+ SD channels will look like HDTV on the
> VAST MAJORITY of sets deployed in the U.K.

The article you're talking about is here:
http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=2539

and was posted by Mark Aitken. That is where Ofcom made the claim that 4
HD could be offered in the existing Freeview spectrum.

By the way, that's obvious. There are 4 16-QAM multiplexes that could be
tweaked up a few Mb/s with 64-QAM, and ta-da, there's your 4 HD program
streams in H.264. If they forego SFNs, the 18 Mb/s of the 16-QAM could
be increased to 24 Mb/s, giving 6 Mb/s for an H.264 HD channel. For
slower HD material, that should be okay.

The story I posted,
http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=2542

only talks about Ofcom doing more market research before deciding what
people really want done with the so-called "digital dividend." So,
immaterial to this dicussion. It just shows that people want what they
call HD. And they ain't getting it.

So that clears up the first point of confusion. The second point is that
in order to offer 30+ channels of EDTV as you insist, or some better mix
of SD, ED, and HD, is IRRELEVANT here. It would require a complete
transition right now. That is out of the question, as far as anyone here
can tell.

Finally, ED and HD are interchangeable. Fast action ED can easily take
up as much bit rate as slower action HD. There's no reason at all to get
hung up on such minutiae.