[opendtv] Re: Obama Asks Congress to Delay DTV Transition

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <barry.barrywilkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 19:01:29 +1300

Why, exactly, should at the very last minute, a delay be made to account for
all those who must surely have been adequately forewarned of this momentous
change?

Those coupons your government generously distributes to the needy are
something rather unique to the USA. I do not believe any other countries had
such a handout to the populace. I paid my NZ $399 for my STB and I consider
it well worth it. Your STBs are so cheap in comparison even without the
subsidy, I fail to see what the fuss is about. As I mentioned on one other
occasion, the cost surely must be no more than a good night out at a
restaurant for 2.

So, if adequate warning has been given and the STBs are dirt cheap anyway,
why not get on with it. A certain proportion will accept it is their own
fault for leaving it too long and go get cable or sky. The others will no
doubt zoom off to the nearest store to get an STB at any cost.

Reception with dubious antennas may be another story...

Good luck with your transition!

Barry Wilkins