[opendtv] Re: Obama Asks Congress to Delay DTV Transition

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <barry.barrywilkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:42:57 +1300

John,

I know that there are many superficial arguments which apparently contradict
the consequences of peak oil. However, there are no sound arguments that
state that when the oil becomes scarce the price stays the same. The point
is, it gets expensive - very expensive. Those wells you mentioned they can
re-open, will quickly diminish in output even if they get more oil at
elevated cost. It is the cost going inexorably up as the expense of
extraction increases that is the problem. Even then, no matter how hard they
pump and with what ever technology, after the global peak, they will not be
able to supply the quantity of oil to meet demand, even if the demand stayed
constant (which it shall not).

There are no professional people in the oil industry (or out of it) of any
reputable standing, who advocate the hypothesis of rapid subterrainian
synthesis of oil over short time scales. If any supposition should be
dismissed, it is this one.

With regard to your country of residence, which I believe is Mexico, I have
it on good account that although it is a current oil exporter to the US for
instance (around 11% of US imports), the largest field, Cantarell, is on a
very rapid serious decline after peaking and that Mexico is likely to be a
non exporter in less than 2 years.

The USA peaked in 1970 as predicted on time by the famous Mr Hubbert and
then declined continuously no matter what technology has since been
utilized. I understand the USA imports more than 70% of its oil now.

Also, take note that the global peak of discovery of oil occured in about
1960. No significant fields of consequence (such as the super giants of
Saudi Arabia) have been found since, no matter what fancy new technology has
been used. This is because geologists inherently knew where the best places
to look first. The world has been surveyed in great depth.

The UK North Sea oil fields have been in relentless decline for years and
ouput only about a fifth that which they did at peak, even with the latest
technology. The UK is in trouble, no doubt about it!

The argument of peak oil is not that we will run out. That will not happen
for quite some time. It is that after peak occurs, the price will go
inexorably up with the scarcity no matter what you do.

You can have a reduction in demand but that will occur due to economic
collapse which is directly attributable to the high cost. Hence the
consequences are there, stark and real.

But of course, I do not expect anybody to take my word for it. Read the IEA
report, December 2008, and then have a rethink.

Barry