[opendtv] OTA an Unwalled Garden?

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 15:29:23 -0700

Bert wrote:

"My point was exactly as I phrased it. Which is, OTA broadcasting remains a
unique distribution model, unwalled, multiple providers coexisting."

I would argue that the FOTA is the biggest walled-garden there is.  The
only openness of FOTA is that anyone in the area can pay the price to enter
the garden.  The price is to install the technical infrastructure in their
own home.  Other than that, FOTA is even more limited: very limited as to
whom can broadcast (the RF portion), very limited as to whom can advertise,
very limited as to whom can provide programming.  Every try to get some air
space?  Every try to get some air time on any channel?

Dan