[opendtv] Re: OTA Reception

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:10:55 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> My daughter's apartment is not unusual, neither is her
> attitude toward OTA DTV or TV. If OTA is going to survive
> it is going to have to do better. They are down to
> something south of 13% and going much lower with the
> transition. But most of my experience is still in the big
> city, New York.

From what you've described on reception of analog stations, in a high
rise, especially down in the lower floors, I would probably agree. Not
unusual. What would be unsual, though, would be to expect the tenants of
that same building to get TV signals using rabbit ears only, back in the
day of when OTA TV was all there was.

It just wouldn't cut it. The tenants would bitch loudly. In fact, many
probabaly wouldn't move in, unless the management set up a central
antenna system.

So now, what you're advocating is that DTT must be considerably more
robust than NTSC ever was, in order for it to be viable.

And even then ...

I suppose this partially depends on what you'll accept in a TV signal.
Some people, like my friends mother-in-law, get by with atrocious analog
reception, and couldn't much care less. For them, DTT might be a
challenge, because it's likely that her current indoor antenna placement
will be over the cliff for many DTT stations.

For me, the opposite is true. I would NEVER watch analog TV with the
antenna where I have it now. And yet, happy as a clam with DTT.