[opendtv] OK... Now I get it

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 06:50:54 -0400

How could I have been so blinded by my fondness of all things Apple?

I just saw the following article, which indicates that Adobe may sue Apple for restraint of trade:

Adobe 'to sue Apple' over Flash row

Adobe will file a lawsuit against Apple, according to reports, as the row over Flash support deepens

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/7588825/Adobe-to-sue-Apple-over-Flash-row.html

In the final paragraph the author provides the explanation I have been missing:

It means that companies will no longer be able to build iPhone and iPad apps on Adobe Air or Microsoft Silverlight, and must instead code in Apple's preferred languages. Experts believe it's one way for Apple to ensure that developers write software first for its highly popular iPhone platform before deciding whether or not to rewrite the code for rival operating systems, such as Google Android.

So Apple is clearly opposed to the "write once deliver everywhere" approach to mobile apps. If they allow Adobe and others to control the technology then apps on the iDevices will look exactly the same as any other device...

How could I have been so blind?

It's not like Apple has created anything here right? They just come into a market late and use their market power to dominate it. How unfair.

Poor Adobe. They have built what amounts to an industry standard with Flash and now Apple won't let them play. Clearly Adobe should be determining what Apps look like on ALL smart phones...

No more bad actors trying to compete...THAT battle is over and Adobe won.

So Apple should just make certain that the iPhone OS is capable of doing everything that every other smart phone OS can do, and let Adobe lead this parade, determining what apps can do based on Flash.

Life will be much easier for Apple if they just go along with the crowd.