[opendtv] Re: 'Not (3-D TV) tonight, dear; I have a headache'

  • From: "Tom McMahon" <TLM@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:28:38 -0700

"Honey, I swear I didn't change the TV set to the Playboy channel...  Front
Desk, I swear I never ordered that porn movie -- my desk light must have
done it..."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/7579181/Energy-saving-light-bulbs-can-
interfere-with-television-sets.html

Energy saving light bulbs can interfere with television sets

Energy saving light bulbs can interfere with televisions causing them to
randomly change channel and switch on and off, a leading manufacturer has
admitted.

By Martin Evans
Published: 7:02PM BST 11 Apr 2010

Ever since old style incandescent bulbs began to be phased out, some viewers
with certain types of set top box have reported strange goings on, with
their televisions appearing to have a life of their own.

Now Philips Electronics have confirmed that the problem could be to do with
an early type of energy saving light bulb, which can cause interference with
cable TV equipment.

The problem is caused when the bulb is first switched on and flickers at a
frequency which affects the infra-red sensors on remote control receivers.

According to technicians the problems are isolated to an early type of
Philips bulb combining with certain brands of set top box.

A spokesman for the firm said:  Some very early compact fluorescent lamps,
shortly after starting, could cause interference with TV controls due to the
frequency of operation of the bulb and when placed near a TV.

The company said the problem was likely to be rare as the bulbs involved are
quite old and not many homes are likely to still have them.

But Emma Clements from Carshalton, Surrey said even bulbs in other parts of
their house appeared to affect their Virgin Media set top box, which was
manufactured by the firm Samsung.

She said: "At first we thought it was the children's sticky fingers on the
remote control and the buttons were sticking."

A Virgin Media spokesman admitted it was a problem that a small number of
its customers had experienced.

 This is an old problem. Some compact fluorescent bulbs flicker at such an
imperceptible rate that it can interfere with infra-red equipment,  the
spokesman said.

In 2008 the EU announced a ban on traditional filament bulbs in favour of
more expensive but more efficient low energy lights.

Incandescent filament bulbs use up to five times more energy as the new
models, but consumers have complained that they are more expensive, take
time to warm up and have a tendency to flicker.

There have also been concerns over the health impact of the new bulbs with
some people complaining they can cause headaches, rashes and dizziness.