[opendtv] Re: Non-living room HDTV sales rise in US

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:02:19 -0500

Frank Eory wrote:

> But for most people who own one or more HD displays, this is
> a big "so what?" You didn't spend all that money so you could
> get fantastic high def pictures on just a handful of channels.

But this is no different from the built-in NTSC tuner.

First of all, the ATSC receiver is not about HDTV exclusively. It is
about receiving OTA TV period, in the near future. Which means, the
number of channels argument doesn't hold. Everyone will buy these sets.

Secondly, the ATSC receiver is supposed to be combined with the digital
cable receiver, which makes it potentially useful to at the very least
15 + 60 = 75 percent of TVs. The fact that many consumers cave in to
their cable companies shenanigans wrt CableCard pricing is a topic for
another discussion.

So now all you can claim wasteful is the 8-VSB demod itself, *assuming*
that demod is not integrated in with the tuner or MPEG decoder, at which
point its cost becomes SERIOUSLY marginalized.

As a matter of fact, many people with NTSC sets also only used their
sets for DVD or games, and never used the NTSC tuner. Just how much more
"wasteful" was that than the situation I described with the combined
ATSC/digital cable receiver using fully integrated parts?

And that is where the industry is going, it seems. Fully integrated
receivers.

By the way, last weekend, I saw a nice 26" wide screen LCD set at
Costco, with ATSC built in, for something like $585. That's a
considerably lower price than I ever saw for a 26" monitor.