[opendtv] Re: Non-living room HDTV sales rise in US

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:29:13 -0800

I've found a chinese website that claims
the ATSC royalty is $23.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2006-12/27/content_768603.htm

Ron

John Shutt wrote:

Bert,

You may be seriously underestimating the cost of an 8-VSB demod. The costs are not in the hardware, which would amount to a fraction of a penny if implemented as you say.

The costs are in the ridiculously high royalties paid to the patent holders of both the original consortium and to the nth generation "cold fusion" chipsets and intellectual property rights owners.

In the past on this list, I've heard the price of $40 just for all of the IP rights for an ATSC receiver.

John