[opendtv] Re: Nokia - Mobile TV Forum - Home

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 22:17:40 -0500

Mark Aitken wrote:

>Coulda been us (U.S.)...
>
>http://www.mobiletv.nokia.com/

Still could be if broadcasters got their act together instead of waiting
for others to do it and then complain because they can't.

Will be us (U.S.) since Qualcomm and Crown Castle are still in the works.

Could have been Sinclair, could still be Sinclair.

Why not have a group of broadcasters get together and show and tell the
US public just what the issues are and what they are NOT going to have
on channels 2-51 and why. Do it on TV. Have a state of the TV Broadcast
Industry round table discussion with no holds bared. Make it must see
TV. Tell Dingel to shove it literally. Just tell the truth. And show the
public what the options are. In other countries people are buying into
options not being offered here.

Of course you won't because of the concern for multicast must carry. In
a few years that is going to look like a ridiculous decision IMO.

I still remember, correct me if I am wrong, that Sinclair was terrified
of showing Nokia's Mediascreen at the hearings in 2000 and Sinclair was
the bravest. If you want to change things I think you have to show what
is possible. All of it. All the benefits. The public will find out
anyway down the road. OTA is going to soar overseas. The US public will
ask questions why we have the worst modulation in the world. When the
same family have cell phones that receive DTV with a one inch omni
antenna flawlessly have to fiddle with a rooftop rotating antenna for
8-VSB it will get interesting.

Someone has dug a hole for you guys to crawl into and you (other
broadcasters than Sinclair) seem to want to oblige them.

Bob Miller