[opendtv] Re: No surprise, Telia's LTE not as fast as promised

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:24:19 -0500

It seems that getting truth through hype is ever so difficult. The truth of the matter is that in terms of spectral efficiency, the 3G WDCMA (HSPA+ or equivalent cdma2000 EV-DO schemes) and 4G LTE are no different. So if you aggregate WCDMA channels together to achieve the same channel bandwidths as LTE, you will achieve the same bit rates.

The larger appeal of LTE is that we may finally move to a common infrastructure for wireless that can be exploited by all carriers.

CDMA and GSM voice services will eventually be replaced with IP telephony over the 4G networks. Investing more in a CDMA based data network only exacerbates the problems we have in this country with competing standards...

But WCDMA is likely to see some deployments until things start to converge.