[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:12:11 -0700

Ron;

I agree with your issue on the location of modulation_mode in the VCT, but
only to a point.  I disagree on the other points.

If the only forms of modulation of virtual channels were 8-VSB, you would
have a good point.  However, you missed an aspect of virtual channels that
does require modulation mode:  analog transmissions during the phase in.

How would you distinguish analog from digital in a channel display without
the modulation mode? I would note that this requirement is mandatory per the
FCC and ATSC.

The modeling of the modulation_mode in PMCP is different than in plain PSIP;
it has been moved up to the transport stream layer.

Also, your unstated assumption is that only VSB transmissions will be listed
in PSIP.  This would be an artificial straight-jacket.  PSIP permits
broadcasters to list cable (and A/81 satellite) channels/program services.
Do you see any advantage in preventing this from happening?

There are issues with the Cable Virtual Channel table, which has been
discussed a bit on my PSIP list by actual people working with this.  For
example, only one current CVCT is permitted.  What if three different
modulation schemes are used in a particular station's market?  (Speaking for
EtherGuide Systems, I have ways to make this usable.)

To say that there is no need for CVCTs or even PSIP in cable is legacy
thinking, imho.  Dynamic PSIP is now mandatory in transmission.  Cable, if
only to save themselves from the listing companies, will have to adopt PSIP
reception, if only to translate to their preferred scheme.

The alternative is for them to rely on TV Guide to get OTA program listings.
In a properly configured TV station, PSIP will always be accurate and
timely.  Can't say the same -- despite best efforts -- about the listing
services.