[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: Bill Sheppard <Bill.Sheppard@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:04:58 -0700

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>An STB with the combination digital cable and ATSC is
>close to useless. Because cable systems provide their
>own STBs for this purpose.
>
>However, if built into integrated sets or recording
>devices, the combination makes infinitely more sense.
>It is what makes incorporation of ATSC front end into
>TV sets (and recording devices) palatable for anyone
>buying new equipment.

I believe what's being missed in this whole discussion is that within a
year after completion of the Two-way Plug-and-Play agreement we can
reasonably expect that most sets will be fully-OCAP compliant, thus
creating for the first time a critical mass of consumers able to receive
standardized application content on their television.  This will open up
a world of additional services delivered through the television and
create a whole new DTV ecosystem...

Bill