[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:32:58 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

> My entire purpose in providing these references
> was to refute Craig's claim that "we don't see in
> Cinerama." We absolutely do.

I agree, but it appears that Craig is still claiming
we see a 4:3.

Had a similar argument with a self-professed expert
on The Absolute Sound some time ago, on speaker
placement for stereo sound. He made extensive
arguments which linked the two speakers in stereo
to the two ears in your head.

In my opinion, that was entirely the wrong paradigm.
If we were talking *binaural* sound, yes. That's the
type of recording made specifically for headsets. But
in stereo sound, the two speakers are like two holes
in the wall, between the recording venue on one side
and your listening room on the other side of the wall.

In other words, the speaker placement and dispersion
characteristics should be linked to the *microphones*
used in recording, rather than to the two ears in
one's head. This explains why you get such good
spatial clues when stereo is recorded with reasonably
spaced omni mikes, even though additional accent
mikes are also needed to bring out individual
instruments. I think this is to accommodate the human
proclivity for being able to focus on individual
sounds in a noisy room.

Anyway, same happens here. It's all about
interpretation of what the facts tell us. In my
view, Craig misinterprets the facts.