[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "Cliff Benham" <cliff.benham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:57:34 -0500

We do see in "Cinerama". Cinerama was designed to complement human =
vision.
Cinerama is a system whose deeply curved screen covers=20
an angle of view of 146 degrees horizontally and about 65 vertically.
This is very close to the angles of view human vision encompasses.

When Fred Waller invented Cinerama out his earlier 5 camera gunnery =
trainer=20
he built for the military, he used three lenses and cameras to produce
human like vision. A very descriptive article comments on these lenses:

http://www.cineramaadventure.com/kimblepage1.htm

"The lenses, custom made by Kodak for Waller,=20
were the size of a contact lens, with a focal length of 27mm=20
- the same as the human eye."

Here is the URL that shows the angles human vision encompasses:

http://www.egt.bme.hu/vilagit/angol/1_5a.htm=20

None of the current television systems comes close to recreating=20
the experience of Cinerama.=20
_______

Craig wrote:

The human visual field is roughly circular. Foveal - high resolution=20
imagery is circular, but really more of a sampling system that darts=20
around to capture high resolution imagery. The limits of field of=20
view are in the areas outside the fovea - again, the receptors are=20
arranged uniformly around the fovea.

If you still want to argue, I can dig up the research I did to prove=20
you wrong the last time you tried to convince us that we see in=20
Cinerama...

=20
=20