[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:14:23 -0700

mismatched aspect ratios is a "digital legacy" problem, cured by proper use
of the MPEG-2 active format descriptor (AFD).

The FCC's mandatory dynamic PSIP decision references the use of the MPEG-2
active format descriptor in PSIP, and hints that if stations do not use it
properly, it's use will be mandated.

AFD describes the letterbox "bar" and active picture areas, so that
receivers will know how to deal with pictures that have another aspect ratio
from the screen.