[opendtv] Re: Nine ways Apple, Inc. just changed the landscape of consumer electronics

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:42:03 -0800

We've had this discussion before. You are what people refer to as an OS
zealot. That makes you biased. I run windows, osx, linux, and even some
other esoterics like plan9 at home. Microsoft had the Media Center concept
out and running long before Apple. Let's not kid ourselves here. Apple are
late to the game and pennies short. Their media center doesn't even have an
OSD for crying out loud. A Moviebeam box has more functionality (and that's
saying a lot). I am sure they will gain the same market share that they have
right now.

As for your slam, I have friends that are completely and utterly computer
illiterate. They have no problems with Media Center. I know you always like
to drop the 'its windows so it sucks for reliability' bomb, but that just
isn't valid anymore. And Vista is a huge improvement over XP in this and
other aspects.

Apple's biggest mistake is that they preach simplicity and assume that the
end user is an idiot. All the changes we have seen with STB design over the
last decade have been along the lines that a single EPG or VOD menu is
simply not enough. The user wants more choice and more power over the media
they watch, record and distribute to other devices.

And gaming.. Sony had the stranglehold on that market with the PS/PSOne/PS2.
Now they are number two and going down fast. Their show of attitude at press
conferences won't save their market share, no matter how much they slam
Nintendo and Microsoft. PS3s are already selling below cost on eBay and
Craigslist. The 360 is going to own this market and if Microsoft put the
same amount of effort into their IPTV service as they have with Xbox Live,
Apple has no chance.

Back on topic to the iPhone... how about that Ocean Telecom? :-P

Cheers
Kon

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=341979&Pn=Aspire_ASL310_EC352M_Minitower

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=341979&Pn=Aspire_ASL310_EC352M_Minitower

>$319. Size of a STB. With a full OS + Media Center. Plus, we all
>know that CompUSA is not the cheapest...
>
>Cheers
>Kon

Yes, but it runs Windows.

Microsoft can steal features, but they still don't know how to make
everything work seamlessly and reliably.

There's a reason Apple dropped computer from their name. Microsoft
has failed in every effort to export their business computing
monopoly into the consumer space except for games...