[opendtv] Re: Nielsen stats on TV in US households

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:47:53 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> This brings the percentage of German terrestrial households
> viewing DTT to 60%.

That includes PC cards and USB receiver sticks. I don't know that
Nielsen includes any of those stats. From how the Nielsen report reads,
it's seems unlikely. They only looked at cable and DBS households, and
acknowledged that some DBS households have more complicated antenna
systems than just DBS. That seems to ignore these other devices.

> By the end of December the DTT coverage was 75% of the
> population.

That's not all that impressive. DTT coverage here might easily be
higher, since all markets have had to include DTT for several years.
Coverage does not mean usership.

On the other side of the coin, HDTV (lack thereof) is becoming an ever
bigger issue. This article warns of major economic repercussions caused
vby the lack of Freeview HDTV.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=2318

In the interest of equal time, how come you aren't wringing your hands
about that?

> Wouldn't it be nice if the public in the US were freely
> buying DTV receivers like they are in the UK?

US buyers *are* buying up digital receivers "freely." It's just that the
US public largely seems to be happy to become impregnated by one
umbillical service or another, instead of buying these receivers with no
strings attached. Can't exactly call it rape when it's consentual.