[opendtv] Re: Nielsen stats on TV in US households

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 02:29:40 -0400

Well there is the UK which claims 77% of homes have DTV. They also
claim that 48% of all TV sets in the UK are connected to a digital
connection and that one in four of all UK TV sets are connected to a
Freeview box. That was in December. By now more than 51% of all UK  TV
sets are connected to a digital connection.

Freeview is in 43% of UK households and connected to the primary TV
set in 31% of households. And accounts for 70% of DTV growth in the
last quarter of 2006.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2007/03/nr_20070314

Then there is Germany which claims 60% of households are receiving
DTT. don't know what percentage of cable is digital but it must be
something. Digital Satellite is over 20% of the population alone.

http://www.dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_worldwide/germany/

"7 million DTT receivers operating
Over 7 million DTT receivers have been sold in Germany according to
the DVB-T taskforce. This brings the percentage of German terrestrial
households viewing DTT to 60%. By the end of December the DTT coverage
was 75% of the population.
DTT launches planned for 2007 will include: Lüneburger Heide, Münster,
Südwestfalen, Sachsen, Sachsen -Anhalt, Thüringen, Saarland,
Baden-Württemberg and Rheinland-Pfalz. Source: DVB-T Taskforce press
release"

Finland. In April of last year over 50% of Finnish households were
already digital and 100% or all who want to receive any TV will have
to be digital within 7 months of now. There will be no analog cable or
OTA after that.

Wouldn't it be nice if the public in the US were freely buying DTV
receivers like they are in the UK? Since they are buying them freely
it suggest they know what they are for, that they know they are buying
them and that most likely they plan on using them.

Not something you can say for the US transition.

Bob Miller

On 3/21/07, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ben Webber wrote:

>> 28 percent of homes use digital cable, 23 percent get DBS
>> and presumably also some DTT, so this says that at least
>> 51 percent of US households is now using DTV.
>
> Depends on your definition of DTV, apparently. CEA uses the
> term "DTV" to refer to 480P at minimum, right?

Yes, the *CEA*, when talking about receivers. This is different.

This Nielsen report is not talking about the monitor or TV set per se.
This 51 percent refers to households that are actually using DTV
*signals* for their TV sets. The sets may even be an old analog CRTs,
but the signal is digital, in this statistic.

It says that even if the majority of cable users still use the analog
tier, when you add it all up, the majority of TV households in the US
today get their TV signals in digital format. I don't believe that holds
anywhere else?