[opendtv] Re: Nielsen stats on TV in US households

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:10:03 -0400

Barry Brown wrote:

This probably doesn't affect you in your work that much, but I've been
very disappointed with many of the episodic network HD programs whose
LDs seem to prefer to use all low key lighting in their work. These
programs certainly don't look very good on current HD-LCD screens.

I've noticed this ... in spades. I think I laready mentioned some time ago switching between an episode of NCIS and American Idol, both broadcast in HD, and noticing how dramatically different the image quality seemed to be. As you say, it's very doubtful that the majority of HD screens these days is CRT, so it really does no one any good to optimize HD shows for CRTs.

Things are much improved when the shooting occurs outdoors, or even indoors with a modicum of lighting. Maybe as contrast ratio in LCDs improves, the effect will be less annoying. And even SD ads are almost always a big improvement over the dark, somber, indoor lighting HD show.

I've wondered whether sometimes the problem might not be at the broadcast station? For example, some off-prime-time movies seem particularly bad in this regard, and only the higher quality ads confirm that the problem occurs at the source.

Mortgage refinance is hot 1) Rates near 30-yr lows 2) Good credit get intro-rate 4.625%* https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2a5f&s=4056&p=5117&disc=y&vers=743