[opendtv] Re: Next-Gen TV Standard: DVB With A Twist? | TVNewsCheck.com

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 20:03:45 -0400

My read of Mark Aitken's ideas was that there would be a mix of open or conditional access content OTA, and also access to premium content over other networks, say LTE. So a mix of possibilities.

What isn't clear to me at all, though, is why the broadcast one-way-only pipe would need to be retained at all, or at least as many of these one-way pipes. What indication is there that we need so much capacity for "live" real-time transmissions as we have now, *if* broadcasters start migrating their stuff to two-way on demand networks?

Another thing I wish we could find out is, just what are the results of these latest ATSC vs DVB-T2 comparisons? At 3.3 b/s/Hz, or close to that, how do the current generation ATSC receivers compare?

I kind of discount the importance of mobile for the OTA channel, because (a) people on the go are usually not interested in sticking to a broadcast schedule, and (b) perhaps more importantly, the way things are in the US, the cell providers are hardly likely to give up their revenues for streaming TV content.