[opendtv] Re: Next-Gen TV Standard: DVB With A Twist? | TVNewsCheck.com

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 11:31:42 -0400

On Sep 11, 2013, at 2:42 PM, Mark Aitken <MAitken@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry I have been 'delinquent'. I/we have been very busy between
> technical/political/regulatory activity. Sucks (I could stop there...) up too
> much time!
>
> The proposal that gets submitted end of this month will be concise and clear.
> Two of the most important elements? "Parameterized Waveforms" and "BMX".

Looking forward to more detail!

> Maybe I/we (SBG) are not alone? (do we really need to choose to do one
> waveform?!) Read the just released September BroadcastEngineering article ("A
> next-generation broadcast platform") starting on page 26 (Brett Jenkins/LIN).

Maybe it's not just broadcasters…

It took two attempts to subscribe to the BE Digital Edition and a bit of
patience to finally read Brett's article.

The good news is I agree with just about everything he wrote - While I
seriously doubt that U.S. broadcasters will have interest in delivering 4K
anytime soon, Brett has the right "attitude." Allow the new standard to be as
flexible as possible; allow broadcasters to tune the technologies they choose
to the business model they want to create/pursue.

Bert likes to believe that broadcasters already compete with one another and
the MVPDs, but there is really little they can do to differentiate themselves
with the current ATSC standards. Allowing broadcasters to choose from a menu of
technologies that support a variety of new business models, some not even
conceived yet, would be the stuff of REAL competition. The only real
competition today is the battle for ratings, which continue to decline.

There is really nothing new here conceptually; this is exactly what we had in
mind back in the early '90s when we asked the FCC to standardize ONLY the
modulation layer of the system. As Brett suggests, you can continue to support
legacy receivers while adding new services - no doubt some broadcasters will be
content to stay with ATSC, as their primary objective is to make user whatever
they do is compatible with the MVPDs that deliver their content to most homes.
On the other hand, I can see Brett and Mark and other broadcasters choosing an
entirely new business model that targets mobile devices, while ALSO improving
the ability to deliver content to fixed receivers using simple indoor antennas.

Maybe we just had a to wait long enough for all the graybeards to retire…