[opendtv] News: iPods knock over beer mugs

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 08:50:08 -0400

iPods knock over beer mugs

By Mike Snider, USA TODAY
That iPods are "in" on college campuses might not surprise you. That
Apple's portable music players are more popular than beer? Now that's
surprising.

Beer traditionally has had the biggest buzz with college students:
Seventy-five percent consider drinking beer "in" on their campuses,
according to Student Monitor's Lifestyle & Media Study.

Only once in the past decade of the biannual survey, in 1997, was
beer bumped from the top spot - by the Internet, says Student
Monitor's Eric Weil. The Ridgewood, N.J., research firm surveyed a
representative group of 600 students.

Among the findings:

* iPods were the No. 1 "in" thing on campuses; 73% of students
mentioned it. iPods were even more popular with Hispanic students
(77%) and women (76%).

* Drinking beer tied with the college networking site Facebook.com (71%).

* Nos. 4 to 10 were drinking other alcohol (67%), text messaging
(66%), downloading music (66%), going to clubs (65%), instant
messaging (63%), working out (62%) and coffee (60%).

"We knew iPods were pervasive on campus as a learning and
entertainment device, but we didn't see it rating that high," Weil
says. "But I don't see any reason for Anheuser-Busch and Coors to
worry."

That iPods and Facebook are two of the top three, and several other
components of a digital lifestyle are highly ranked (social
networking site MySpace was No. 13), suggests "how rapidly
Internet-based phenomena can emerge," says Dan Updegrove, vice
president for technology services at the University of Texas at
Austin.

What about chasing the opposite sex? Isn't that still "in"?

"What we have seen in the past 10 years is they are more likely to be
doing that in groups than individually," Weil says. "Maybe they think
there's strength in numbers."

And a possible reason for beer's longevity? Says Updegrove: "Well,
universities pride themselves on being bastions of both innovation -
and tradition."
Posted 6/7/2006 11:06 PM ET

TOP 5 'IN' THINGS ON CAMPUS

Spring 2005
Spring 2006
iPods
59%
73%
Drinking beer
72%
71%
Facebook.com
NA
71%
Drinking other alcohol
65%
67%
Text messaging
59%
66%
Source: Spring 2006 Lifestyle & Media Study, Student Monitor