[opendtv] Re: News: Why Aren't Portable Media Players More Popular?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 07:32:25 -0400

At 11:10 AM -0400 6/8/05, Bob Miller wrote:
>Larger mobile/portable screens are the market even when they are not
>moving. Ubiquitous reception is what you want. You want all possible
>customers. Don't see a big future for making money broadcasting to cell
>phones but if they are just part of the mix including that 20" portable
>in the kids room then you are talking.

I agree with Bob that what we are looking for is a mix of receivers
that use robust bits. But I do see a market for video to cell phones
and PDAs - it's just not the same market as traditional TV content.
People on the move need information quickly, and they want to keep up
with what is going on in the world. Weather will be killer app for
cell phones, with simple maps and local radar updates.

Sports is another natural, however there may be some vicious wars in
this area. The major league sports franchises are very concerned
about "leakage" from their events. People with camera phones are a
major threat, with the ability to send updates and images from a
sporting venue. The sports franchises will counter with their own
content aimed at cell phone users.

And news is another major application, especially short clips of
major news stories.

The big detractor to cell phone video is per minute usage charges.
Perhaps Qualcomm understands this and will use their spectrum to
offer either free-to-air content, or a package of services at a
nominal fixed monthly fee.