[opendtv] Re: News: Video board approves Apple-supported codecs

  • From: Philip Hodgetts <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:34:35 -0800

At 11:57 AM -0500 11/23/04, Kon Wilms wrote:
>And the iPod is pretty much all you are going to use with that codec.
>Have a look through this site: http://www.dapreview.net/news.php - you
>may (or may not) be shocked to see the sheer onslaught of cheap ipod
>ripoffs heading to our shores. The iPod has a limited lifespan, if you
>ask me.

I think any retail product has a limited lifespan, but the success of
the iPod has never been related to what it actually does: it's a
"cool" factor; popular culture thing. I don't even pretend to
understand (because I don't have the need for, nor interest in,
portable music) but it's way beyond what the device does and how well
it works.

It's a little to do with the overall simplicity of buying, managing,
portablility but it's mostly just cultural phenomena.

And definitely it has a limited life - in fact, given that wall
street are now sending Apple's stock price sky high on the basis of
the success of the iPod, it must almost be dead. ("Wall street" and
analysts have such a bad track record I wonder why anyone pays any
attention).

--
Philip Hodgetts
http://www.IntelligentAssistance.com

The ProApp-Hub
All the news you need: timely and useful. Never miss a critical
warning.  Daily productivity tips.
http://www.ProApps-Hub.com
Download Now. It's Free!