[opendtv] Re: News: Video board approves Apple-supported codecs

  • From: Philip Hodgetts <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:41:10 -0800

>"'The investment we made in the MPEG-4 standard is
>paying off incredible dividends for QuickTime and for
>Apple,' Frank Casanova, Apple's director of QuickTime
>product marketing, told MacCentral. 'Allowing the ISO
>the use our file format has turned out to be the best
>decisions we could have made.'"
>
>Is this for real? Anyone know?

Yes, it's for real. The MPEG-4 container format is *based on* QT's
container format. It's not exactly the same but it's closer to QT
than to any other media format, because, of course, QT had the only
flexible container format.

Microsoft were somewhat bent out of shape when QT was accepted as the
container format (hence the MS attempt to hijack MPEG-4 a few years
back before they started calling it Windows Media).

Can't comment about the history of H.264 but the final standards are
around a year old.

--
Philip Hodgetts
http://www.IntelligentAssistance.com

The ProApp-Hub
All the news you need: timely and useful. Never miss a critical
warning.  Daily productivity tips.
http://www.ProApps-Hub.com
Download Now. It's Free!