[opendtv] Re: News: The death of Cable TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 17:56:55 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> The interesting part of all of this, for me, is that it looks like
>> a good many of the new HP laptops have Windows 7 and HDMI outputs.
>> So this is where I'll be doing my investigations for this year's
>> Santa Claus wish list. Rather than let the CE companies tie my
>> hands.
>
> You just screwed yourself  (and us) Bert...
>
> Now they will start blocking these PCs too!
>
> ;-)

Heh heh. That's unlikely. More likely, if the CE manufacturers used generic
browsers and unlimited web sites instead of weird and unnecessary ones, the
congloms might have to respond by putting the same ad content in their online
distribution as they do OTA.

If they do so, and make ad breaks non-fast-forwardable, as is the norm online?
Record the online stream, and then view as if from a PVR. And, natch, the
congloms can offer pay episodes too.