[opendtv] Re: News: The death of Cable TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 14:55:56 -0400

At 10:31 AM -0700 11/2/10, Dale Kelly wrote:
"Could they (OTA broadcasters) all be in cahoots?  I doubt it".

Yes, it is very doubtful, if not impossible, that OTA broadcast licensees are in cahoots. Such behavior is banned by a long standing act of congress and is aggressively enforced by the FCC.

Dale and Ken raise a good point. Clearly in the L.A. market stations have found many sources of content. Without investigating, I would suggest that a significant portion of these sub channels are offering Spanish (and other) language programming that is targeted at the large international population groups in and around L.A. But I am sure that there is a great deal of programming that would be of interest to the general population.

This does not change the reality of what I said earlier. Broadcasters are still being marginalized, and clearly most of the content that is available from the MVPDs IS NOT available from the LA broadcasters.

It is also clear that spectrum is LA - the #2 market in the country - is more valuable, and hence more likely to sustain broadcasting into the future.

The question remains: can broadcasters in LA, or any other market, compete in the future with the alternatives that exist today, and those that will exist in the future.

I'll answer my own question.

Yes, but not with the current business model.