[opendtv] Re: News: The Winds of Spectrum War

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:30:02 -0400

> In my opinion, it should be a service that delivers EDTV  (e.g. 854 x
> 480) quality to fixed and mobile receivers. Better than the NTSC
> service that has now been retired, but less capable than the MPVDs
> that will deliver HDTV for the next few years until the Internet
> scales up to replace them.

I don't think EDTV is part of the ATSC mobile standard.  And, if it was,
I think with 1/4 FEC you could only get a couple of 854x480p channels
out of 19.3 mhz at decent quality.  That wouldn't free up enough
spectrum so wide 480p seems unlikely in this scenario.    Basically,
*anything *that looks good on a large HD screen seems improbable with
OTA in this scenario.

But I'm not sure they care.
> I do not believe this to be true. But there is no question that the
> broadcasters do "own" the spectrum they use, and this must be undone.
> The revenues from the spectrum that is freed up can be used to
> compensate broadcasters for a portion of the value they still have on
> their books for their broadcast licenses. When all of the broadcast
> license holders have been compensated, they should pay to use the
> spectrum like everyone else.
IMHO It is still sort of a moot point whether broadcasters really OWN
the spectrum they have been assigned.  But it is probably worth it to
pretend they do if it smooths a future transition and they are willing
to deal reasonably.

I suppose if I was still employed by a broadcast automation company I
might be a bit less outspoken on this last point.  ;-)

- Tom