[opendtv] Re: News: The Real Fight Over Fake News

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:51:51 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

caveat: by "promotion" I was referring to "free service."

You can find all sorts of crap on the Internet.  This was shooting crap in a
barrel.

For it to be a promotion, it needs to be promoted and/or advertised.  It wasn't.

Prove me wrong.  Show me tear-sheets or pdfs from San Diego newspapers or
weeklies where this was promoted.  Show me the commericials that were clipped
(in real-time) from local cable systems or tv stations.  Heck, why didn't you
refer to the Cox Cable San Diego web site?  Was that too relevant for your
barrel?  Or was there no information to support your parry?

I'm not saying that they didn't intend to participate, just that hey haven't
promoted or offered free HBO or Showtime or Starz weekends since the very early
1990's.  In San Diego.

I haven't seen them on Time-Warner Cable either, in that time frame, but I
don't travel into T-W territory in search of TV very often.

I can say that every time I have tuned into Cox Cable San Diego using a QAM
tuner, I have found HBO in the clear, and in no case did I try such tuning
during the period of this purported promotion, or any other free HBO promotion.

Here's something else to keep in mind:  these free weekends are always done --
by contract -- on a separate channel, using a separate satellite feed.  In a
practical sense, the separate channel needs to be provisioned digitally and in
analog.  Cox Cable San Diego hasn't had a free channel in about 18 or more
years.

I'll let you be the dispositive person on Cox Cable Gainesville.  Yu can't even
attempt to be that way with Cox Cable San Diego until you (at least) have
watched it for a few frames.  I've watched it for more than 43 years.